By Osama Abi-Mershed
Read or Download Apostles of Modernity: Saint-Simonians and the Civilizing Mission in Algeria PDF
Similar african history books
Medieval Islamic society set nice shop by way of the transmission of historical past: to edify, argue felony issues, clarify current stipulations, provide political and spiritual legitimacy, and entertain. sleek students, too, have had a lot to claim in regards to the usefulness of early Islamic history-writing, even though this debate has normally targeted overwhelmingly at the primary Islamic lands.
In-depth, illustrated exploration of ways early North African Christians lived out their religion utilizing a mixture of literary and archeological facts, this in-depth, illustrated e-book files the improvement of Christian practices and doctrine in Roman Africa -- modern Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco -- from the second one century during the Arab conquest within the 7th century.
This article demanding situations current writing on ‘Abd al-Qādir al-Jazā'irī which divides his lifestyles into juxtaposed levels separated by means of narratives of conversion: from Francophobia to Francophilia, from militarism to pacifism, from activism to quietism, from Islamism to pluralism, from politics to faith.
The foundation of Anomy is a suite of essays compiled from 40 years of addresses and lectures through the prestigious Nigerian author and pupil Femi Osofisan, who additionally is going through the pen identify Okinba Launko. Coming from one of many significant figures of the modern literary scene in Africa, those essays are candid, thought-provoking, and scintillating.
- Minding the Gap: African Conflict Management in a Time of Change
- I Am Because We Are: African Wisdom in Image and Proverb
- Algeria Revisited: History, Culture and Identity
- Pirates, Merchants, Settlers, and Slaves: Colonial America and the Indo-Atlantic World (California World History Library)
- Local and Global Dynamics of Peacebuilding: Postconflict reconstruction in Sierra Leone (Studies in Conflict, Development and Peacebuilding)
- Mastering the Niger: James MacQueen's African Geography and the Struggle over Atlantic Slavery
Additional info for Apostles of Modernity: Saint-Simonians and the Civilizing Mission in Algeria